June 10, 2019
First a few plugs:
- Don’t miss MADE X MORTON, our Student Art Show, this Tues. June 11 from 6 - 9pm at the Spanish Benevolent Society (239 West 14th St.). Gorgeous student work. Tapas. And a cash bar. Come one, come all!
- Please attend our final PTA meeting of the year, this Wed. June 12 at 8:45am in the Library and VOTE in our elections. VOTE for the proposed budget. This is so important. Coffee and yogurt shots, as usual!
- Our Manhattan Youth/afterschool musical production of 'Into the Woods' premieres in the Gymatorium this week. Tickets are FREE!:
- Thursday June 13 at 4:30pm; and
- Friday June 14 at 5:30pm.
- And check out our 'Mix and Mingle' next Monday, June 17, from 6 - 8pm, at Brass Monkey (55 Little West 12th St.). We'll gather to say farewell to the school year and compare summer plans. $25 gets you heavy hors d'oeuvres and unlimited beverages. Tickets here:
On Tuesday we open our doors to the incoming class of 6th graders and their families. Every Orientation feels significant and important and NEW – especially as we are still so young as a school. I hope we always keep this feeling – nervous and proud, ready to share our pride in 75 Morton. We are feeling very lucky that our new video (made by parents Elizabeth and Noah Smith) is simply gorgeous. (We will post it on our website after its premiere on Tuesday!) Katie, Ilene, Jill, and I sit and watch it over and over and get teary. It oooozes the love we feel for our students. The staff watched it and cheered – they are so proud to represent 75 Morton.
So much of Orientation reminds us of our strong community. The parents who spend hours and weeks preparing. The amazing magnets we deliver to every elementary school inviting our rising 6th graders. The students who prepare to speak and help out during the event. It is a big and complicated production – all designed to welcome the next layer of our growing 75 Morton community.
I also want to share an interesting complement we get over and over. The teacher candidates we are interviewing for our 28 openings (yes, that is what happens when you add another grade!) repeatedly mention our website and the history of community activism that formed 75 Morton. They are very intrigued by our mission and vision. It is a pleasure to hear that the story of our school has such a strong impact on other educators.
Finally, a special thanks to the parents who planned the Roller Skate Party this past Saturday – it was a huge success, aided by the perfect weather!